• Driving transit bus;
• Operating a heavy duty transit coach over a prescribed route and in compliance with established timetables;
• Picking up and discharging passengers;
• Issuing transfers and recording passenger counts;
• Supplying information to patrons and generally assisting passengers as necessary;
• Providing a safe smooth ride;
• Reporting needed adjustments and repairs;
• Completing accident, incident, daily and other reports as required;
• Performing pre-trip inspections;
• Interacting with other motorists, the public at large and passengers with tact and courtesy;
• Operating wheelchair lifts and makes required stop announcements as needed;
• Performing related tasks as required.
• Thorough knowledge of local and state traffic rules and regulations;
• Ability to operate transit coaches and related equipment safely and efficiently under adverse weather conditions;
• Thorough knowledge of street network and major activity centers in the area;
• Ability to remain alert and to remain calm during the periods of stress;
• Ability to pass ICC physical examination or equivalent;
• Ability to be courteous to riders and the general public;
• Any combination of education and experience equivalent to graduation from high school and some experience in operating transit coaches or similar equipment and in dealing with the public;
• Possession of a good driving record;
• Possession of a commercial driver's license valid in the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania, including a P endorsement and removal of the L restriction – Preferred but not required.
Essential Physical Functions
• Occasional lifting, pushing, pulling of up to 20 pounds;
• Frequent lifting, pushing pulling of up to 10 pounds;
• Frequent climbing, kneeling, crouching, reaching;
• Vocal communication is required for expressing or exchanging ideas by means of the spoken word, and conveying detailed or important instructions to others accurately, loudly, or quickly;
• Visual acuity including depth perception, color perception, night vision, peripheral vision, operation of machines, operation of motor vehicles or equipment, determining the accuracy and thoroughness of work, and observing general surroundings and activities;
• Hearing is required to perceive information at normal spoken word levels, and to receive detailed
information through oral communications and/or to make fine distinctions in sound;
• Employee is subject to inside environmental conditions, vibration, and atmospheric conditions.
For this position CATA offers paid time off (vacations, sick days, holiday, etc.), Health Insurance (medical dental and vision), 401(k) and Flexible Spending Account, Life Insurance, Short Term Disability, EAP and free transit pass. Salary during training is $12.40, after training is $16.65 and after two years is $20.81.
Applicants will be subject to criminal background check.
Only qualified resumes will be considered.
Send your resume and presentation letter
to the following fax number or by email:
Human Resources Department
Position: Bus Driver