Job Summary: (Briefly describe what the position was created to accomplish.)
Performs intermediate semiskilled work assisting in repairing transit coaches and Authority equipment;
does related work as required. Work is performed under regular supervision.
• Assisting in performing general maintenance and repair of transit coaches and Authority
• Performs all periodic maintenance on vehicles in conformance with manufacturer’s specifications
• Inspects vehicles for damage and wear;
• Changes and repairs all sizes and types of tires;
• Does minor mechanical repairs and performs minor component replacement and repair;
• Makes service calls and repairs and/or tows vehicles;
• Works with mechanics on major repairs;
• Performs Pennsylvania State vehicle inspections per vehicle code;
• Operates and qualifies on fuel dispensing equipment to include CNG, Diesel and Gas;
• Serves as a custodian when needed;
• Drives in revenue service in an emergency;
• Performs building and equipment repair;
• Performs related tasks as required.
Minimum Requirements (Include education, experience, special skills and licenses or certifications
• General knowledge of the methods, tools and equipment used in the repair of light and heavy
automotive vehicles, transit coaches and maintenance equipment;
• General knowledge of the theory, care and operation of gasoline and diesel engines, as well as
simple mechanical parts and units as necessary to successfully complete assigned tasks;
• General knowledge of proper lubricants and their use on a wide variety of vehicles and fittings, and
the inspection, repair and changing of tires;
• General knowledge and skill in the use and operation of shop tools and machinery;
• Ability to follow oral and written instructions;
• Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with associates;
• Any combination of education and experience equivalent to graduation from high school;
• Some experience in repairing diesel or gasoline powered equipment.
• Possession of an appropriate driver’s license valid in the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania;
• Possession of P endorsement with L restriction removed;
• Possession of appropriate Pennsylvania State vehicle inspections license;
• Possession of a good driving record.
Essential Physical Functions:
• This is heavy work requiring the exertion of 100 pounds of force occasionally, up to 50 pounds of
force frequently, and up to 20 pounds of force constantly to move objects;
• Work requires climbing, and balancing;
• Vocal communication is required for expressing or exchanging ideas by means of the spoken word,
and conveying detailed or important instructions to other accurately, loudly, or quickly;
• Hearing is required to perceive information at normal spoken word levels, and to receive detailed
information through oral communications and/or to make fine distinctions in sound;
• Visual acuity is required for depth perception, color perception, night vision, peripheral vision,
preparing and analyzing written or computer data, visual inspection involving small defects and/or
small parts, use of measuring devices, assembly or fabrication of parts at or within arm’s length,
operation of machines, operation of motor vehicles or equipment, determining the accuracy and
thoroughness of work, and observing general surroundings and activities;
• The worker is subject to inside and outside environmental conditions, extreme cold, extreme heat,
noise, vibration, hazards, atmospheric conditions, and oils.
For this position CATA offers paid time off (vacations, sick days, holiday, etc.), Health Insurance (medical dental and
vision), 401(k) and Flexible Spending Account, Life Insurance, Short Term Disability, EAP and free transit pass. The
starting salary is $17.80 per hour.
Applicants will be subject to criminal background check.
Only qualified resumes will be considered.
Send your resume and presentation letter
to the following fax number or by email:
Human Resources Department
Position: SERVICE PERSON